Thursday, March 3, 2011

First comes love, then comes marriage. But when does the house come into play?!

This is a post about everything in between.  


James and I are currently living with is parents.  I adore them both.  They have been wonderful to me throughout the past 1.5 years.  I couldn't be thankful enough for having such great and amazing future parents in law.  But let's face it, who DOESN'T want to be on their own?!  


I've been dreaming about James and I having our own place since our relationship became serious.  Which was fast.  We were living about 60 miles away from each other for the first year of our relationship.  It was tough at times, but the distance made our hearts grow fonder.  =P  


I "officially" moved into his parent's house around Christmas time.  We thought we had a few things figured out financially to where we would both stay here a month or two and then be out on our own.  Unfortunately, life throws curveballs and things don't work out as planned. 


I had no problems with this until now.   Even though our wedding isn't until 2012, we are still taking steps here and there with our planning.  I am becoming so excited about everything that I can't even stand myself sometimes.  All of the planning and excitement has me thinking about our future.  This led me to begin looking at houses.  Houses that I can't afford right now.  It's beginning to devastate me!  I know we'll eventually move into our own place, but my worry is when?  


We will most likely start out at an apartment, but will we ever be able to save up the money for a house?  Do we dive right in and start to save for house along for the wedding?  There's so many questions that run through my mind.  It helps motivate me though.  


My major fear is that James and I will never get far into making it on our own for awhile.  Grocery and gas prices keep climbing.  The house market is coming down, but not much.  How will we ever make it on our own?  I know that I would do absolutely anything to get us standing on our own two feet.  I can tell you right now that it's my plan.


I have a dream that will soon become reality.


I had to share this picture because it's just hilarious.

4 comments:

  1. It's soooo tough. Mr. ST and I bought a house first because it was a more "practical" move for us. I wanted a house for us to live in more than I ever wanted a ring on my finger. And we did the long distance thing for almost three years...me in Washington Township him in Toms River - so I know how much that SUCKS. Stick with it. Take things one day at a time - trust me, I've been there living with future-in-laws and it can be VERY tough. That's why you blog. Vent it out. Let the wedding "crazy" out here for US to read. :-) smile...it's almost FRIDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, girl! Things will happen when they are suppose to. It's definitely hard to have an apartment and save for a house and a wedding (which is what we are doing right now). Our rent on our apartment is kinda high and it just sucks that all that money that we are paying in rent is just going down the drain. We're actually looking at building a house right now, but I don't know if it's going to be possible for us at this point.

    I hope things start looking up for you! Btw- I just wanted to stop in and say hi! I'm a new follower to your blog (I found it on weddingbee) and I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girl. I'm sticking it out as much as possible. :D It's just frustration at times, but I love being around my FPIL.

    And welcome Danielle!! Thanks for choosing to follow me. I hope I can peak your interest. I'll try my best. Hahah. But don't be afraid to keep in touch. You can always find me on WB (DesireeAnne).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I understand it's hard and that you want your own space. We lived with FMIL for a while, thought she was great we obviously needed our own space. In the end we bought her house as we expressed interest in a similar property and she bought a bungalow, so things will work out for you too ;)

    ReplyDelete